Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Memories


Everyone has their own definition of what Christmas is...Jesus birthday, family, presents, Santa and so on. To me it is a time of giving. I thought I might share a story from my childhood....I think this is when I learned the real meaning of Christmas.

I was about 5 or 6 and my dad who was a Knight of Columbus received a phone call about a family in tremendous need of help this very cold season. SO my dad and his fellow Knight Bobby went out to these peoples home. They were huddled around their stove trying to keep warm because they had no heat and the windows upstairs were broken. Their pipes were froze so they were melting snow to have something to drink and they were hungry, there was no food in the house. When my dad took the mom to the grocery store to buy some food he told her to get whatever she needed. She came back with a loaf of bread, mustard and bologna. He told her that that would never do and proceeded to fill a shopping cart brimming with food. After they took her home they continued on to the welfare office where my dad, in his own words, ripped them apart and demanded that something be done to help this poor family. They lady from the welfare office cut them a check, drove out there and moved them into a motel. Then the next day moved them into a new home! I remember my dad coming home, with tears in his eyes and hugging us all and saying how thankful he was for us and to have what he has. thats when I learned that Christmas is about more than presents and family its about helping, healing and being there whenever someone needs you. Now my mom wasn't a Knight etc but whenever my dad needed anything to help out a family she was always there to help. Making phone calls, coming up with some money, shopping for presents for needy children, grocery shopping, whenever dad needed anything she was first in line to help. When there was a food drive, coats for kids, or any fund raiser that we could take part in my mom always made sure we each gave something, hoping to instill in us the values that she and my dad have, So thanks Dad & Mom for teaching us about the true meaning of Christmas. I love you both.



Todays quote;
Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous memory. There need to be more of your dad's in this world. TFS!

Lynn Anne said...

Because I needed tears in my eyes right now...(!) What a beautiful story - so glad you shared it. And how wonderful to not only know a person like your dad, but to have him as your dad!

BlogMe

Melonie said...

Beautiful story Laura! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday and Happy New Year!!!

Amanda said...

Man, I got tears in my eyes ready that...now THAT is the true meaning of Christmas! Your parents are wonderful, selfless people! What a wonderful example to live by! xoxo Amanda