Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Christmas Sleigh exploding box

Good morning! ONE of the aspects of scrapbooking and card making I love is sometimes when you get carried away with something and it's a good thing! When I began this exploding box I was going to add the sleigh as a regular die.....then I had the idea to make it 3D....then I wanted to add the ornaments and the poinsettias .... it took me a bit to figure things out but I am quite happy with the final results. Today I am sharing how I created the 3D sleigh which you can use to decorate your Christmas projects.

  

 To create the sleigh: 
Step 1 - Die cut 6 sleighs - 2 of your base color, 2 of the accent color, and 2 of the skate part of the sleigh you will need to use the reverse of two of the sleighs so if you are using patterned paper make sure you cut it using the opposite sides. 
Step 2 - Trim the skate part off of 2 of the die cuts and adhere to the base sleighs making sure to coordinate which is for the reverse side 
Step 3 - Trim the center part of the sleigh (you can see the embossing where to cut) and adhere to the base sleighs 
Step 4 - Using a strong cardstock cut a piece at 5 1/4 by 2 1/2 Step 5 - Score around the long edges 1/4" in from each side Step 6 - Score the shorter way at 1 1/2 from one end and 1 1/4 from other end


   

 Step 7 - Fold along score lines then using your double sided tape adhere to the two sides of sleigh. you are essentially creating the inside of the sleigh 
Step 8 - *Optional* cut two pieces of paper the same color as the sides of the sleigh to fit in the front and back of your sleigh. 
Step 9 - Cut a piece of cardstock at 2 1/2" x 1" and score the short side each at 1/4" fold at score lines and adhere to the skate part of the sleigh so you have something to glue down to your exploding box. (look at photo below)
   
  

Step 10 - Fill your sleigh with poinsettias - trees etc 
Step 11 - Adhere to the top of your exploding box
   
  

I also added some of the awesome new winter ornament die and the Marry Christmas from the Winter Wishes to my box and used the moda scrap Xmas vintage papers!
     
For the inside I die cut another one of El's wonderful poinsettia's and used more of the Xmas vintage papers cut with the 3 3/4 inch square die

  
 Have a wonderful day ~Laura 

No comments: